filed under: art, craft, eco play, food, green family, green kids, kids health, vegetarian
Maggie’s Naturals, also the makers of eco-kids art supplies, has just released six natural gluten-free food colors made with organic fruit, vegetable, and plant extracts. This is excellent news for moms, like me, who have struggled to make their own natural colors for icings! I grew up eating colored pancakes every weekend and loved funky colored cookies and treats, especially around the holidays. But with all of the recent research on food coloring, especially red dye 40 and yellow 5 and 6, fun colored food just hasn’t been worth it to my family. Artificial food coloring is derived from petroleum and large studies have shown them to cause hyperactivity and other behavioral issues. Making your own natural food colors can be time consuming, so Maggie’s Naturals is the perfect solution.
Maggie’s Naturals food coloring is the same concept as artificial food coloring, just without all of the yucky stuff. The all-natural food coloring comes in six 2 oz bottles that will last you a long time. You can add Maggie’s Naturals to foods, icings, and even art projects like chalk and play dough. The best part is that it doesn’t stain your hands or counters like artificial dyes, so your kiddos can help make fun colors in art projects or while coloring food.
The food coloring has a natural appeal, though darker more intense colors can be made by adding extra natural coloring. The wholesome Maggie’s Naturals ingredients are:
- BLUE: blue gardenia extract, organic vegetable glycerin, citric acid
- BROWN: caramelized sugar, organic vegetable glycerin, citric acid
- GREEN: green gardenia extract, spinach, parsley, organic vegetable glycerin, citric acid
- PINK: beets, sweet potato, organic vegetable glycerin, citric acid
- ORANGE: annatto seed, organic vegetable glycerin, citric acid
- YELLOW: curcumin, organic vegetable glycerin, citric acid