We've adapted a baked latke recipe from bloggers Meet the Shannons (makers of these amazing vegan Tagalongs) to include zucchini, making the recipe even more veggie-licious and healthy. So whether you are actually going to be lighting Hanukkah candles or not, make a batch of these potato pancakes, served alongside some applesauce and vegan sour cream. Your family and their bellies will thank you! Read on for a hearty yet healthy holiday latke recipe or find one-page, printable directions here.
1. Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
For the latkes (recipe adapted from Meet the Shannons):
- 4 medium-sized yellow potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp applesauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for coating the baking sheets (or use an olive oil cooking spray for the sheets)
- 1 Tbsp EnerG egg replacer
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Other garnishes such as chopped parsley or roasted beets
2. Grate the vegetables.
Grate the potatoes, zucchini, and onion using a box grater or (much easier) the grater attachment of a food processor.
3. Squeeze out the excess liquid.
Do NOT skip this step. Transfer the grated veggies into a colander (I used a fine mesh one) and press/squeeze/ring out the excess liquid. The mixture doesn’t have to be totally dry, but your latkes will be crispier and will also hold together better with the liquid drained from them.