Babycakes NYC, a vegan, gluten-free bakery with outposts in New York and Los Angeles and Downtown Disney, shared their secrets for donut perfection in their latest cookbook, Babycakes Covers the Classics. We couldn't help but take pumpkin, one of our favorite fall ingredients, and do a twist on their traditional cake donut. Pumpkin is a rich source of Vitamins A and C and high in fiber, and there's just something about it that makes us ecstatic for the return of fall and cool weather. So whip up a batch of these little babies (which will also make your house smell amazing), and choose from a simple cinnamon-sugar topping or a more decadent vegan cinnamon cream cheese drizzle (or make some of both). And find a one-page, printable recipe here.
1. Gather the ingredients.
For the donuts
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or canola oil (I recommend coconut and use unrefined oil, but Babycakes recommends using refined), plus a little more for “greasing” the donut pans
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (or just another 1/2 cup regular sugar)
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch or cornstarch
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 5 Tbsp pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup hot water
For the cinnamon sugar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
For the cinnamon cream cheese drizzle
- 2 Tbsp vegan cream cheese
- 2-3 tsp agave
- 1 Tbsp almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 tsp-1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla (optional)
2. Oil the donut pans and preheat the oven.
Rub the donut pans with coconut or canola oil and preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
3. Make the batter.
In a medium bowl, whisk all of the dry ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients, and mix together. Make sure that the ingredients are well combined, but don’t overmix; it will make the donuts “gummy”.