Sure, panini might seem like a fancy word for sandwich, but paninis are truly so much more. Crisped bread and fillings smooshed together make a tasty meal, and the ingredients can be mixed and matched for every family member’s eating preferences. For a family of four, we recommend grilling up 3 or 4 types of veggies (such as portabella mushrooms, peppers, and thinly sliced eggplant and zucchini) as well as some marinated tofu. Add on some caramelized onions and pesto, mayo, or cheese and it’ll be that much tastier. Of course, a panini press is recommended, but if you don’t have one, the sandwiches will be delicious as is. You can also try pressing the sandwiches in a cast iron skillet or other makeshift panini pressing styles.
What You Need for Paninis
Note: For approximately 4 people. You will likely have leftover grilled veggies, which are wonderful cut up and used in salads.
- 1 loaf of bread, sliced
- 2-4 portabella mushrooms, left whole and brushed with olive oil. You can slice these once the mushrooms are cooked or they can be used whole as a burger.
- 1 large eggplant, thinly sliced lengthwise. If you have a mandolin, now would be a great time to use it. It would also be useful for the zucchinis. Set the blade to 1/8 inch thick.
- 1-2 medium zucchinis, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1-2 red peppers, left whole
- Olive oil for brushing onto vegetables