Halloween is a fun time for kids. From Halloween costumes to treats and tricks to spooky decor, it’s easy to green your Halloween. But what about your Halloween pumpkins and jack o’ lanterns? The decision to buy an organic Halloween pumpkin is not as cut and dry as other eco-minded Halloween goodies, mainly due to cost. Typically, but not always, you’ll shell out more (no pun intended) for an organic pumpkin than you would for a conventional. If you’ve got more than one child, or you’d like to carve multiple pumpkins, cost does start to become a factor. So, is an organic pumpkin worth the price or not? Read on to weigh your options, plus learn where to find the best organic Halloween pumpkins.
Although organic pumpkins can cost more, there are still tons of reasons why you should consider buying an organic Halloween pumpkin, include the following:
- According to the EPA, “Two of the major herbicides used in pumpkins, clomazone and ethalfluralin, have either the potential to injure the crop being grown or cause severe injury to non-target plants.” This means other plants suffer due to pesticides used on pumpkins.
- There are 50 (maybe more) pesticides commonly used to grow conventional pumpkins. Sources note that if every single pumpkin farm went organic, around 400,000 pounds of toxic chemicals a year would be eliminated from the planet. That’s a big deal.
- Organic crop production benefits the planet in many ways. From less global warming to fewer pesticides in our soil and water to better health for farmers and other humans, organically grown produce, including pumpkins, are a healthier choice all the way around.
- If you’re going to bake pumpkin seeds or make a pumpkin pie with your pumpkin, you should go organic, because you want your family to enjoy these treats pesticide-free.
- Incorporating organics into your Halloween festivities is the perfect way to teach your child about green living and organics.
Pages: 1 2