Environmental Working Group (EWG) just released their updated 2012 safe sunscreen guide – good news if you’re overwhelmed by all those sunscreen choices out there. As usual, most of their safest sunscreen winners include sunscreens made with zinc oxide or titanim dioxide, both of which are preferable and safer than chemical ingredients such as oxybenzone. This year EWG notes that an ideal sunscreen choice should block both UVA and UVB rays, contain active ingredients that do not break down in the sun and of course, be free from an insane amount of toxic chemicals. If you’re interested in how EWG conducted their analysis and ranked products this year, check out their sunscreen FAQ. Before we take a look at this year’s sunscreen winners and losers, remember that sunscreen is only one way to help protect your skin from sun damage. Limiting sun exposure during peek sunny hours and wearing protective clothing are also important actions. Also, don’t forget, sunscreen is only effective if you actually apply it correctly. This means you should apply sunscreen generously 30 minutes before going outside and reapply it every two hours. Keep reading to see which sunscreens earned top spots on the EWG list this year.
EWG’s Safest Sunscreens for 2012
Many great sunscreens made the EWG list this year. You can see the full safe sunscreen list at EWG, but here are 10 top choices to get you going.
- Adorable Baby Clear Baby Sunscreen Stick, SPF 30+
- Seventh Generation Baby Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Sunbow Dora the Explorer Sunscreen, Pink, SPF 30
- The Honest Company Sunscreen, SPF 20
- TruBaby Water & Play Mineral Sunscreen, SPF 30+
- California Baby Fragrance-Free Face & Body Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30+
- BabyGanics Cover Up Baby Sunscreen for Face & Body, Fragrance Free, SPF 50+
- Earth’s Best Mineral Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Badger Lightly Scented Lavender Sunscreen, SPF 30
- BurnOut Kids Physical Sunscreen, SPF 30+
Pages: 1 2