Green cleaning agent being sprayed – Shutterstock Image
Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) mission has always been to use the power of information to protect human health and the environment — which is evident in their safe sunscreen guide and Dirty Dozen guide, among others. And now EWG has released their brand new Guide to Healthy Cleaning, which can help give you practical solutions that will keep your home clean while protecting your family. As you likely know, U.S. law allows manufacturers of cleaning products to use almost any ingredient they like, including known carcinogens and icky substances that can harm fetal and infant development, kids health and the health of our planet. Since the government doesn’t review the safety of products before they’re sold, EWG has created this new guide to help fill the gaps.
All in all, EWG’s Guide to Healthy Cleaning reviews and rates more than 2,000 popular household cleaning products with grades A through F. Grades are based on ingredient safety and the company’s ability to disclose information about their products. EWG’s staff scientists compared ingredients, looked at company websites and worker safety documents, information available to top government, industry and academic toxicity databases and scientific literature on health and environmental problems related to cleaners. All this research resulted in the massive EWG’s Guide to Healthy Cleaning. The guide is easy to navigate, with cleaners broken down by type, so you can quickly find safety ratings for a gigantic amount of cleaners and ingredients. We gave you a sneak peek at the worst of the worst Hall of Shame cleaners back in April, but now keep reading to see both the top 10 best safe cleaners and the 10 worst.
cleaning products isolated on white – Shutterstock
The best safe green cleaners
We advocate making your own kid-safe green cleaners, because they cut down on container waste and you can be sure they’re safe. Still, if you want to buy store-bought cleaners, make sure they’re less toxic and safe for your family. Below are 15 of the most highly rated (they all got an A) non-toxic cleaners on EWG’s Guide to Healthy Cleaning.
- Safe Air Freshener: Aura Cacia Aromatherapy Mist, Eucalyptus Harvest
- All Purpose: Simple Green Naturals Glass & Surface Care, Rosemary Mint
- Bathroom: CLR Calcium, Lime, Rust Cleaner
- Laundry: Green Shield Organic Laundry Detergent, HE Elite Care, Lavender
- Dish Washing: Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwasher Detergent Concentrated Pacs, Free & Clear
- Safe Air Freshener: Aussan Natural nursery odor eliminator
- Furniture Cleaner: Earth Friendly Products Eco Breeze Fabric Refresher, Lemongrass
- Kitchen Cleaner: Green Shield Organic All-Purpose Cleaner Degreaser, Fresh
- All Purpose: Green Shield Organic Biodegradable Surface Wipes, Fresh
- Dish Washing: The Honest Co. honest auto dishwasher gel, free & clear
- Floors: Martha Stewart Clean Wood Floor Cleaner
- Bathroom: Seventh Generation Natural Toilet Bowl Cleaner, Emerald Cypress & Fir
- Laundry: Seventh Generation Natural Laundry Detergent Powder, Free & Clear
- Kitchen Cleaner: Whole Foods Market green MISSION Organic All-Purpose Spray Cleaner & Degreaser, Lemon Zest
- Pet Smells: Aussan Natural dog odor eliminator
Pages: 1 2